But this recent posting on the iilalumni list gave me just a tiny bit of pause. What a great way to attract great potential recruits! Anyone out there want to move to move to Gettysburg?
Here’s the post in full– after the jump they lay out what they are looking for..I know a lot of people who have the skills who would be great in this position:
‘Are you tired of being a cog in the wheel? Do you feel stuck in a bureaucratic rat race? Do you have good ideas and no way to get them on the radar screen?
Do you wish you had more interesting professional development opportunities?
Do you like country living close to a metropolitan area? Are you interested in being part of a strong liberal arts environment with service at its core? Do you like the idea of working in a place where you can really make a difference?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, please read on.
REFERENCE & WEB SERVICES LIBRARIAN
Gettysburg College Library invites applications for a service-oriented librarian to join its Reference & Instruction Department. New graduates are encouraged to apply. Musselman Library is a dynamic organization where every staff member makes a difference. We serve a small, liberal arts community of 2,400 students.
The Reference & Web Services Librarian will serve as a member of the Reference & Instruction Department, providing services at the reference desk and
participating in the library’s information literacy program. Other duties include investigating ways to employ new and existing web-based technologies to enhance service, managing the content and design of the library’s expanding array of web pages and online resources, coordinating ongoing usability assessment, and working closely with the Library Systems Manager, Web Communications staff, and others as needed. Like all librarians, the Reference & Web Services Librarian will participate actively in collection development, serve as liaison to two or more academic departments, serve on library and/or college-wide committees, and benefit from continuing education and professional development opportunities. Reports to the Director of Reference & Instruction.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science
• Reference experience in an academic library, preferably in a liberal
• Strong user-centered service philosophy
• Knowledge of traditional and electronic reference services and sources
• Teaching or presentation experience and ability to contribute to a
dynamic information literacy instruction program
• Demonstrated ability to develop effective, complex websites
• Solid understanding of the role and potential of technology for the
design and delivery of information resources and services
• Demonstrated experience with HTML and web editing software
• Understanding of scholarly communication patterns and needs of a
• Ability to work flexibly and creatively in a demanding environment
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and
• Minimum of one year relevant library experience
• Familiarity with information literacy concepts and trends
Gettysburg College is committed to creating a more diverse community; as part of that process, the College encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Salary is competitive. A liberal benefits package is available. Send letter of application, resume and the names and addresses of three professional references to: Jennifer Lucas, Co-Director of Human Resources, Gettysburg College, Box 2443, Gettysburg, PA 17325, email address email@example.com.
Applications received by March 20, 2009 will receive the fullest consideration.